Thursday, March 04, 2010

Everyone told me about it. I just wasn’t prepared.

I like when “they” give me information. You know “they”. “They” recommend things like don’t start solids until 6 months old. “They” recommend that you don’t go swimming right after you eat. “They” are supposed experts in anything in your life. Well, “they” told me that your second child will hit milestones quicker than your first child. I don’t know if it was because they see the first child doing all these things or what but I always take anything that “they” say with a grain of salt. However, I got a taste of it when Madeline turned three months old and rolled over. Thanks to this blog, I was able to look and see that Abigail did that at four months old. I figured Madeline was just listening to “them” and was getting milestones a lot quicker but not dramatically.

By six months old, Madeline has progressed to a full crawl. Not an army crawl like Abby did where she seemed to pull at the floor and drag her legs behind her. I am talking about a full belly off of the floor, hands leaving the floor, on her knees crawling. She can go from her back to her belly, up on all fours and crawl across the family room. I got the biggest kick out of taking her to the doctor for her 6 month check up where they ask you the milestone questions. This month was “Is she turning from back to belly and belly to back?” I laughed and said “Are you kidding me? She is crawling already. We passed that milestone two months ago.” The doctor just sort of looked at me and said “Wow, that is really early.” With that in mind, I decided to look back into my blog files (which is the whole reason I have this blog in the first place) and saw a post about Abigail crawling…at 10 months. 10 MONTHS and that was on track. Madeline is doing this at 6 months, people.

I am constantly marveling at her. The other night, I came home and sat right on the floor to play with Madeline. We usually have this routine where Sesame Street is on from 5-6 PM which means Abigail has completely checked out. So I play on the floor to get some Maddy time because usually after dinner is more Abby time. I like to balance. I was watching Madeline eyeing Oreo on the ottoman. His swishing tail was saying “grab me, Maddy!” So Madeline started crawling over to him and I just watched to see how she was going to negotiate playing with his tail since he was elevated on the ottoman. She ended up about 6 inches away from the ottoman, put one hand up, then the other. Slowly she tucked her feet under her and stood up. Yes, now at 6 ½ months, she is now pulling up. Time to lower the crib mattress.

Take that “they”!

1 comment:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oh, my heavens, that girl is all kinds of brilliant! She'll be walking by the time we see you!