Thursday, April 19, 2012

Flora, Fauna and Merryweather

As Big Girl reached her 5th birthday, I had a plethora of family requesting present recommendations. Since Abigail is the first grandchild on both sides and even the first niece for all of our siblings, the child has been more spoiled than you can imagine. Not that I am complaining but how do you tell someone what to get for her when we are overwhelmed by books, toys and clothes. So this has forced our family to become creative.

My parents called me about a month ago and wanted to see if it would be alright if Abigail had a fish tank. After talking with Josh, we said go for it. At least it can be a lesson about life, death, and responsibilities. Though with our luck of having fish, life was going to be short, death was going to be quick and the responsibilities will transfer when we get rid of the fish tank. But we will just see what happens.

Last week, my parents visited and Josh and I came home to Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.




Don't ask me which one is which because Abby changes them, not that you can see it in the picture anyways. We have two Mickey Mouse Platty:



And one Guppy:



We only have to feed them once a day before bed and of course Abigail picked out pink rocks for her fish tank.

Everything had been going well until about 5 days in when the guppy started to look a little rough for wear. (Told you we aren't good with fish!) We just told Abigail that she is tired and once she gets a good night sleep (expecting her to be floating on the top by morning) that she will be much better.

The next morning I went in and the guppy was no where to be found. Like NO WHERE! Not in the filter, not floating, no where in tank. Josh and I are assuming that she died and the platty just ate at the all night fish buffet.

So your next question is probably, what was Abigail's reaction. Well...I am a master at diversion (you didn't even see that I just swiped the chocolate bar on your desk) and was able to get her dressed and out before she even saw her fish. I figured it would be hard to teach a life lesson on life and death of fish before breakfast. I opted for the discussion before bed that night.

That night we got home and did our normal routine. Abigail greeted her fish, fed them, we watched them and she went to bed...without even realizing she is only down to two fish. Josh and I exchanged looks and let it go. Even this morning, she didn't even ask where the guppy is.

Did I seriously just escape having the talk about life a death? The kid remembers that she doesn't like the doctor because she gets a shot from a year ago but not that she had three fish 12 hours ago?

Point goes to the parents.

Parents: 1
Kids: 3,234,743

1 comment:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Another bonus is that fish teach math skills too. Only... just subtraction. It's a one way bonus. Love!