Monday, November 03, 2008

Working Hard in Singapore

As we speak, I am sitting in Singapore. I know most people think this is the greatest thing but I am here for work. And when I say I am here for work, I work hard. I put in 60 hours this past week and was averaging 5 hours of sleep. There are bonuses to traveling, though. I fly business class (actually flew first class this time because I got a free upgrade! SCORE!) and all my meals, transportation and hotel are paid for by the company. And I am not exactly ruffing it at the Hyatt. Now, the fact that my meals are paid for are both good and bad. I don't have to watch how much I spend (within reason) on my meals. I get a daily allowance for my food that I would have to eat almost double to hit. But that also means, I eat more than I normally do. I eat three meals a day and sometimes a snack here and there. Pair that with working a lot of hours, I am sure I have gained 20 lbs.

There is a flip side to the fact that I am in Singapore. That means Josh and Abigail are home by themselves. My wonderful Josh is wonderfully supportive of me working but I always feel sorry that he has to play the single parent for 1-2 weeks. But he has been pulling it together and doing a great job. I am very proud of him.

When I tell people that I have been to Singapore, most people think that I am in an exotic Asian country. While it is a neat place, Singapore can be described as if Disney ran Manhattan. Singapore is a very small country so most of it is built up with a lot of taxis and a lot of shopping (Manhattan). Singapore is also exceptionally clean and well manicured from the sidewalks and streets to shrubs on the highway (Disney). Some of the other fun things that I have learned here:
  • Everyone speaks English but it is not usually their first language. The joke is that people here talk Singlish.
  • Subway subs smells like Subway subs.
  • You have to drive and even walk on the left side of the street. Though drivers over here are INSANE so I just take taxis.
  • It is hard to find a place (even a restaurant) that doesn't serve soda with a glass of ice and the can of soda. On a side note, they don't have Diet Coke. It is called Coke Light. On another note, I have not seen a Pepsi in this country. Weird.
  • They are more interested in our Presidential election than are most Americans. The minute they figure out you are American, they ask you what are your thoughts on the election.
  • It is regularly 300 degrees here with 200 percent humidity. Yes, I am exaggerating but not by much.
  • They don't understand two for the price of one. To them, that would mean a total of three because they think that means pay for two and get one free. You have to say one for one meaning buy one get one.
  • No one is allowed to beg on the street for money. There are street performers (playing guitar) that have to have permits or people who instead of begging for money, have to sell something.
  • Is it weird that they have a China Town and a Little India?

Well, the plan was for me to leave Saturday. It is now Monday and I am scheduled to leave tomorrow. I hope I can. I am ready to go home!

3 comments:

Allinole said...

I am so sorry you are still there. That is awful. I am thinking about you.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Is it possible to miss you more when you're in Singapore even though you live over 3 hours away from me anyway? I really hope you get home to Josh and Abby soon. And we get to see you in 3+ weeks!

HeatherPride said...

Wow, Singapore! Ok, I am still impressed even if you are tired of it! I do understand how being away from your family must be difficult though.

Coke Light! ha! I'm going to go get one of those now!

Love the commentary on the culture!