Monday, May 02, 2011

An Important Decision

Abigail’s fourth birthday was coming up and she had an important decision to make.

After being gone half of Friday, March was upon us before we knew it which meant we had a three year old turning four very soon. The big decision, we decided, was going to be up to her. Shall we have a party at our house, destination party or maybe pay someone a lot of money at a location like Chuck E. Cheese? I am even cringing at the fact of going back to a birthday party at that place let alone paying them to host it. Josh and I decided that we would put the decision up to her since she was pretty much officially leaving her toddler years. (Yes, I totally just made up a milestone.) We had been talking about getting four day passes to Disney and we could swing her birthday in there and call it complete! I didn’t think that I would have a hard job of persuading her to have a Disney day for her birthday versus a party at our house but I did want the decision to be up to her. As long as she went along with what I want to do. What? Too mean? I only have a few years of her life I can do this so back off. Soon she will outsmart me and I will have to go along with what she wants. So there!

A few weeks before Abby’s birthday, we figured we would test the waters. Especially since she likes to change her mind from day to day. I was not going to have a party planned for 20 kids only to have her throw a fit that we should have gone to Disney. So we approached her very slowly. Her birthday was still a few weeks away but if she went with the party decision, we needed to get invites out ASAP.

M: “Abigail, we need to talk. You have a birthday coming up and have a very important decision to make.”
A: “Okay, Mommy!”
M: “We can do one of two things for your birthday. It is your decision. We can have a party at our house with all of your friends, or.”
A: “I want a party at my house, Mommy!”
M: ‘Wait there is another option! We can have a party at our house with all of your friends, or we can go spend the day with Mickey at Disney.”
A: “I want to go see Mickey!”
M: “So you don’t want to have a party?”
A: “Nope. I want to see Mickey.”
D: “How about we sleep on it and then we can see what we want to do. Your birthday is still a few weeks away.”
A: “Okay, Daddy!”
The next morning we woke Abigail up and before we even said good morning she said:
A: “Mommy, I have a very important decision to make. Should I have a party at my house or go to Disney to see Mickey. Mommy, I decided. I want to go see Mickey for my birthday.”

Josh and I just looked at each other and said “Great decision! We will go to Disney! Do you think we should see if anyone wants to come with us?

Abigail immediately said “SPRITE!” Next phone call was to solidify the plans with the Sprite’s Keepers, who I had already pre-warned to make their calendar available at the end of March. I knew exactly what the decision was going to be. What? Too pushy? Not when it comes to talking your family into going to Disney with great friends!

1 comment:

Sprite's Keeper said...

As Dory would say, "Oh, this is going to be good."
I don't know who had more fun, the birthday girl or us!
Love!