Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Make Me A Liar

Madeline is really trying to put sounds together to make words. Some of them are actually quite distinguishable.
On Monday Josh picks up the girls and I am greeted at the door by my family when I come home from work. Greeted usually means Abigail says hi mom while she is glued to the TV (she only gets about 30-60 minutes a day before dinner), Josh is running around getting dinner together and Madeline runs over to me to either say hi to me or if something better, like crayons or the cat, she runs over to greet them. Fortunately I get first dibs more often than not but I think that is just because I will pick her up.

Josh and I usually spend a few moments in the kitchen catching up before I run upstairs and change into some kid friendly clothes before dinner. I always end up wearing a bit of dinner and it is not because I am a messy eater. I asked Josh if the girls had a good day and this was the conversation:

J: School said that Maddy is talking and said agua when she wanted water.
B: Whatever. I don’t believe that.
J: Me neither. There is no way.
B: Madeline, say agua.
M: Agua.
J and B: DAMN!

Madeline has been nodding when she wants things and we have been getting a kick out of that. We know she understands so much but the communication has not been there in words we can understand. So of course we started trying out bunches of words and got some results. This is about all we got:

Oreo – Oooohhhhh
Book – Boo Kah
Abby - Abbb Boo

Thanks for making a liar out of your parents, kid.

1 comment:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Hooray for talking!
Sprite's teacher was commenting about how Sprite seems to be picking up on the SPanish quite well, and I gave her a look like, Wha? (I know John's not the one practicing with her..) That night, I tested her on it.
"Hey, Sprite. What's red in Spanish?"
"Rojo."
Well, there you go...
:-)
Love!
2 posts in 2 days? Woohoo!