Monday, April 13, 2009

Life Has An End

Well, I knew it was a matter of time. I tried to shield everyone from it. I tried to send out letters, petitions to city hall and even smoke signals. Normally, I have a very nice drive in the morning with Abigail. We look at the beautiful surroundings that are waking up as we are driving into day care. The birds are chirping, wheels on the bus are going round and round and we are keeping our eyes out for fire trucks (the latest must see). Unfortunately, this morning something was very different. Amongst the morning continuation of Pesach Cheerios and milk I hear:

"I love you,You love me,We're a happy family,with a great big hug,and a kiss from me to you,Won't you say you love me too!"

My beautiful daughter started singing the Barney song. I will give you all a moment to compose yourselves.

While I personally have nothing against this odd shaped purple dinosaur with a nasal voice, he just irks me to tears. Not one book, toy or even TV station in our house has ever featured Barney. We don't even happen upon it while flipping channels. While I know that day care does not have a TV in the classroom, they do have children's music playing constantly. While this can be wonderful (Abby's repertoire of songs has grown immensely thanks to the music in the room), I am also now understanding how it can also be harmful.

I normally will sing any song with her or encourage diverse learning, I am going to have to shelter her from certain things. Especially large, purple dinosaurs.

Okay. I am going to go cry some more now.

Post Posting Note: Josh thinks that this is a great song because his little girl loves it. He wants to support any song she sings so I had to teach him the words to it so they can sing together. I guess he loves her more than I do because I am not going to be facilitating singing of this song as much as I can help it.

1 comment:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sprite has been exposed to his soundtracks as well. No matter what we do as parents, we unfortunately cannot shield our children from all of life's cruel realities. I'm so sorry, Becca. Intervention may be needed here... :-)