Sunday, September 07, 2008

That is the Impression that I get

Prosecutor: Doctor, can you give the Court your impression of Mr. Striker?
Dr. Stone: I'm sorry. I don't do impressions. My training is psychiatry. -- Airplane II
I am really liking this whole weekly spin thing. It is making me blog more, which is a good thing. Thanks, Jen! This week's spin cycle subject was impressions. Of course the first thing I thought of was the quote on the top. I love the Airplane movies and can quote a lot from them.

Since my last blog was so long, I figured no one would mind if this one was so short. I figured that I would just tell a good story of the first time that I met Josh's parents and the impression I got from Josh's dad first.

Josh and I were only dating a few weeks when I met his parents. Josh was at his parents during his winter break from grad school. I figured I would go down to South Florida to see Josh and meet his parents. My grandma lives near them (about 30 minutes away) so I figured I would see Josh and my grandma for the weekend.

I got down to Josh's parents house and walked into the door. I was greeted first by Josh's mother who was very sweet. She showed me into the living room to where Josh's dad was sitting watching TV in his recliner. I sat down on the couch with Josh and got introduced to Jerrold, Josh's dad. The conversation went like this:

Josh: Dad, this is Rebecca.
Rebecca: Nice to meet you.
Jerrold (Josh's dad): So, my son tells me I can expect 5 grand kids from you.
(Josh was speechless and just looked at the TV with his eyes bugging out of his head)
Rebecca: We kind of want to date a little first.

This was followed by a few moments of uncomfortable silence and then, thankfully, Josh's mom came into the living room and the visit was otherwise nice.

I am not even exaggerating, elaborating or taking any thing out of context. That statement was the very first thing that Josh's dad ever said to me and thus my first impression of him. We still laugh about it to this day.

4 comments:

Allinole said...

That is hilarious. I did not know that.

Anonymous said...

I cannot stop laughing! I love your father-in-law and I've never met him! (If he's anything like Josh, and it sounds like he is, we would get along very well!) You're linked!

Anonymous said...

That's so funny, it sounds like something my parents would pull. It sounds like you immediately passed the test, good work!

HeatherPride said...

Too funny! I bet his dad is the life of the party with one-liners like that one!